Monday, November 22, 2010

Repost: Award Winning Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

The church I attend had a Women's Gourmet Event last Friday night.  They had 5 different catagories you could enter and I entered my Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas into the Main Dish category.  Not only did I win for best dish in that category my 9 x 13 pan was empty within 5 minutes. I.kid.you.not.  

So I decided to repost the recipe and update it with a few changes and variations I've made over the years.

3 cups chicken cooked and shredded
2 cans cream of chicken soup
8 oz sour cream
2 small cans green chilies
1 soup can water
3 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped onion
12 tortillas

Boil chicken in seasoned water, save stock. Make sauce out of the next 4 ingredients. Add shredded chicken.  Dip tortillas in chicken stock and stuff with sauce and 1 tablespoon cheese and onion. Roll in casserole dish and cover with remaining sauce and cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

These make 2 9x13 pans and reheat very well.  They also freeze well after baking.

Other variations: 
If you have already cooked chicken you can use canned stock to dip the tortillas in. 
Use whole wheat flour tortillas in place of the regular flour tortillas.
Use one can each of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup. 
Use Monterrey Jack cheese or a blend of Mexican cheeses.  
I've started using both light and dark meat (a combo of breasts and thighs or legs).  
I've substituted a can of Rotel for the 2 cans of green chilies.  It looks festive at Christmastime.
I've also used some Salsa Verde in place of the green chilies.  This makes the sauce taste almost like Chuy's tomatillo sauce, which I love with all my heart.  

2 comments:

Kirby said...

Yum, these sound really tasty and easy!

Briana said...

I have made this before, and Matt and I both scarf it down. :)