Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Southwestern White Chicken Chili

I lost the recipe about 5 or 6 times back, so I have been making it by memory lately. :) Here is the way I made it tonite:

1.5 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breast
4c chicken broth
1 medium onion, diced
8oz chilis, diced
3(15oz) cans of white northern beans(yes, I see the irony too)
1tbsp oregano, crushed(between your palms, and you smell good all day!)
1tbsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2c monterrey jack cheese, shredded

*brown chicken in a little evoo, then using two forks, shred it. I have tried dicing it, and it's just the wrong texture for this dish.

*drain and rinse the beans, you don't have to rinse, but I have found that it's a little heavy on the salt if you don't.

*combine all ingredients except cheese in Crockpot and cook on low for 7-8 hours. I have found that this is one CP recipe that does not taste as good when shortened in time and cooked on high, so I wouldn't suggest it.

*The original recipe called for you to stir the cheese in at the last minute and serve that way, but I have found most people like to regulate the amount of cheese that's in it, so I serve it on the side. If you want it "mixed in" just put it in the bottom of the bowl before ladling in the chili.

*Enjoy with tortilla chips, sour cream, or even some more chilis to garnish.

*Either everyone loves this stuff, or I have a lot of friends with some sins to confess!

1 comment:

myra said...

We were just talking about this recipe the other day. So glad you posted it! I remember that its the meal you brought to us when Morgandy was born, it's got sweet memories attached to it :).